Saturday, April 30, 2005

Last day of work

Yesterday was my last day of work before starting maternity leave. I had a meeting up in Alpine at the office. They threw me a surprise baby shower. It was a lot of fun and I did get some nice things, including money to buy something nice and big. I turned in my office keys, my car, my cell phone, and most of my paperwork, but I still have a few things left to mail them. I caught a ride home with one of the teachers who lives in the park with me. Just as we left town she got a call from her grandson saying that he'd swerved to miss a deer on a gravel road and put his pickup on its side. So she turned the car around so we could go home through Terlingua and pick him up. By the time we got to Terlingua the medics had decided to transport him to Alpine, and we passed the ambulance headed on up with him. So I was left at the Big Bend Motor Inn while she drove back to Alpine. She did call me later to tell me that Trevor is just fine. He's sore and a little shook up but otherwise OK, as is the pickup truck.

Eric and Sam had gone for a drive in the jeep because I told him I'd be late getting home. So he wasn't home when I called for a ride home from Terlingua. So I called the chief ranger and he started trying to track him down, while his wife arranged for a ride home for me. Anyway, I had plenty of time to eat a hamburger at the diner in the motel, and watch all the kids in town for the softball/baseball games come in to order ice cream. I looked pretty funny, trying to fit into a booth loaded with baby shower gifts and a big box with the leftover cake from the shower!

Eventually Doug, one of our neighbors and Eric's coworker came and got me, and I got home a little while after Eric did. It was quite an adventure! Today there is a Le leche league meeting, but I need to find out what time. Tomorrow is my baby shower here in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment