Monday, August 15, 2005

Tough Decision

After thinking about it all weekend, well all summer too, I've decided that my current job with the Coop isn't going to work out this school year. I started back to work last week, and was going to give it a month or two to see how things went. I had just one deal-breaker, and that was the hours I was willing to work. The school district doesn't want to count my driving time as part of my working hours, so I would have to leave the house no later than 6 in the morning and I wouldn't get home until 6 or 7 pm. That's just a little too long for a part-time job. My commute was 4 hours/day. I didn't get my local schools, which was one of the main reasons I accepted the job in the first place. Now this was for a logical reason, and I am not arguing against my supervisor taking over those schools. There will be at least one student who really needs her particular skills. And there will only be 4 children in those two schools needing speech services. So it made sense that I go to Presidio. My objection to driving that road was noted, but dismissed. This morning the director of the Coop called me and told me that I absolutely had to be at the school in Presidio from 8-4, as that was implied in my contract (implied, not written) unless I would be willing to switch to an hourly rate. I wouldn't be making as much money. Mileage was going to go up a little, maybe as high as $.40/mile, but gas prices just went up to $2.75 and are expected to climb to $3.00 by the end of the year. My reasons are many, and Eric and I both think this will be for the best. I'm planning on signing up to sub at the local schools, although I won't make any money at it; all my money would go to pay the babysitter. Haven't heard anything about the VUA position I applied for, so I'm not going to count my chickens yet. I will have to pay back my July paycheck, except for 2 days worth. I will be sending back the electric breast pump I ordered as soon as it arrives, as my sister's is just fine for occasional use.

All that being said, Sam has a new word. He says Yucky. It's cute until he mixes it up with yummy and applies it to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment