Saturday, October 22, 2005

Pumpkin-Ginger Pancakes

Tis the season of the pumpkin, and in honor of my lovely large pumpkins, I'm posting my new favorite pancake recipe. I first had last Christmastime while visiting some friends on Whidbey Island. I spotted the recipe I think in a newspaper and our hostess was gracious and made them for us the next morning at breakfast. I made some this morning and they were delicious.

Pumpkin-Ginger Pancakes with Ginger Butter

1 C flour
2 T brown sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1 egg
3/4 C milk (I used powdered milk)
3/4 C canned pumpkin (I made my own)
1/4 C plain yogurt (I used light sour cream)
2 T butter, melted (I used olive oil)

In a large bowl stir together dry ingredients. In another bowl mix together wet ingredients. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until moistened.

Cook as you would regular pancakes.

Serve warm with candied-ginger butter and warm maple syrup.

Candied Ginger Butter
In a bowl stur 2 T finely chopped candied ginger into 1/4 C softened butter (I nuked it for about 7 seconds) The directions say to chill until firm, but then you can't spread it, so I'd just put it back in the fridge for a couple minutes.

The pancakes are not very sweet, but very moist and tender. They are pretty mild, and the ginger butter gives it a nice kick. I think if I didn't have any candied ginger, I'd stir in 1/4 tsp. powdered ginger and 1 T sugar into the butter instead. I had to make a few substitutions, as you can see, because I was out of a few of the ingredients. I've also shortened the directions, as I think most people who would attempt this recipe know how to cook a pancake.

No comments:

Post a Comment