Saturday, December 03, 2005

Kids and Christmas Decorations

Kids are rough on decorations. Sam has already broken a few things, torn a few things apart, and redecorated the tree many times. Awyn would just like to chew on it all. So far the items I can't repair or replace or redistribute include a mini snowglobe and a couple of our trek ornaments. The Star Trek ornaments I'm talking about started life out as micro-machines, toys that Eric and I were given or bought around Christmastime for our first Christmas together in Kansas. We turned them into ornaments because we didn't have any. I thought the ones I gave Sam were fairly indestructible, but I was wrong. The NC1701 has lost it's saucer section, and another has lost it's base in such a way as I can't put it back together. He was traumatized by the self-decapitating reindeer, so I had to put that up on a shelf to be pretty. He's tried to break a couple of my cardinals, so the one in danger of losing it's wings is higher up on the tree. It's too bad some of these sturdy ornaments aren't so sturdy. I want Sam to be able to touch the tree and other things. He loves the lights and the tree, and has to tell it goodnight when he goes to bed, and when he wakes up, he runs to the tree and claps, shouting, "Hooray! Tree!" On another side note, Sam still thinks Snoopy is a cow. We have a Snoopy Christmas flag we're hanging on the outside of our house, and he likes to run onto the front porch and moo at it. He points to Snoopy and calls him a cow.

1 comment:

  1. Eric just corrected me. The Star Trek micro machines were a birthday present to him from me while we were engaged. He couldn't remember which Christmas we turned them into ornaments.

    ReplyDelete