Monday, December 05, 2005

It's Here!

Our new television has arrived. It was sitting on our front porch, but I moved it inside so it could warm up to inside temperatures, not that it was all that cold outside, but still. I opened the box, and the manual contained a pink flyer stating that this is a refurbished set. Hmm. I can't actually hook it up until Eric and Sam get home. It's too big for me to get out of the box, and it will take two of us and an engineering degree to get it into our entertainment center. I think we'll have to put it in through the back because there is a 2 inch frame around one side of the cabinet, and the TV will just fit, with less than a 1/4 inch to spare. I'm not joking, I just measured it. Wow. I didn't think it would be that big. I'll post a picture once we install it. For those who are curious, it's a Toshiba 30 inch TheaterWide (widescreen) TV. While it is a flat screen, it's not one of those thin ones, it's very big, bulky, and weighs more than 100 lbs.

Christmas present givers, please note: We prefer widescreen movies. We could also now use a new DVD player meant for nice digital viewing, as this is indeed an HDTV, something that is rather wasted on us, as we don't even have a satelite (darn spelling anyway) dish or any kind of TV reception. We just watch videos. Hey, I think we'll need new cables to hook things up with too, but I guess we'll get them at Radio Shack tomorrow when we run up to Alpine. Sigh. Universal remote anyone? We now have a Toshiba TV, RCA DVD, Sylvania VCR and Pioneer mini-surround sound. Oh, and another remote for the satelite radio. That's just too many remote controls! We bought the DVD player to match the TV on purpose so they could at least share a remote. I think the DVD player will be our next thing to replace, but it has to seriously die before we'll replace it. We bought it when they'd gotten cheaper, but not nearly so cheap as they are today. We also refuse to buy the combo things, like a DVD/VCR or even worse, a DVD/VCR/TV combo. The VCR always breaks first, and then you have to buy a separate one and hook it in. Why bother when they are so cheap by themselves? Now I've sidetracked the original point of the post. Let's hope I'm still this excited about the new TV once we get it going. Even though I did lots of research, I didn't find the bad reviews until today. It's about 50/50 love/hate.

Today I'm trying to be a sewing fool, but Awyn is refusing to be independent. She must nap in my arms and play in my arms. My arms are needed for ripping fabric into strips for baby carriers and cutting out little pieces for fabric balls. I plan to give a few of my favorite people baby carriers, and I wannt to give one up to be auctioned off tomorrow for the Casa Grande benefit auction. If they want me to custom sew it, they'll have to buy the fabric. I'm starting to run low, finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment