Friday, March 16, 2007

Digging the Old Garden


One of our neighbors brought Sam and Awyn a new tractor today. They'd outgrown it and thought it ought to be played with, so the girls decided to give it to Sam. Both Sam and Awyn were excited to have a new digging toy, and Eric suggested the remains of the old garden. This turned out to be a marvelous suggestion. I found the sandbox toys and brought them out too. Awyn spent most of the afternoon digging, even after Sam got tired of it. Awyn even came back out to it after her nap and again after supper. This pile of dirt is in a good spot; I can stretch a blanket or something to give them some shade over the corner of the fence and over to the laundry line, although honestly, it did spend all afternoon in partial shade from the fence. (this was part of why I moved the garden)

The new garden is in a spot to provide sun most of the day, but a little shade here and there to keep the heat down. I want to put another raised bed by the back porch, but that might be a project for a later date. I might also put a sand pile next to the house between the porch and fence, and stretch some shade fabric between them. I don't know. I do know that we have a nice backyard, and I enjoy sitting in it scheming about what I want to do next. The kids are enjoying the new garden, mostly leaving it alone, at least until today, when Awyn decided to pull up half of my cilantro and a few carrots. Luckily they needed to be thinned anyway, and I was able to replant a few of the 'culls' in other places.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment