Saturday, June 03, 2006

I want a Trek Fest!

The other day I did a search for Star Trek conventions. I thought that maybe there would be something in one of the almost nearby cities that we could attend. Let me remind you, we don't have enough money for a real vacation or a visit back home yet, so I though that we might be able to swing a weekend at a hotel surrounded by a bunch of wierdos, as we are as wierd as any of 'em. (Should Awyn be a tribble or just an ensign?) (Sam would go as Captain Kirk, with his boyish good looks and commanding personality)

Here's what I didn't take into account: This year is #40. Yep, it's the 40th anniversary of Star Trek, and you bet there are some serious parties going on. And the big one is in Las Vegas, Nevada, at the Las Vegas Hilton. Another name for the Hilton? Star Trek the Experience, hence the convention site selection. We are talking probably the biggest convention ever, and it's being hosted by Creation Conventions. If you know anything about Cons, these guys are the biggies, and they are also the most expensive. To take the whole family to this convention we'd be out over $1000. The daily passes would add up to over $300 each, and the different meals and events were $70 each. I have to admit, the photo ops with the actors were tempting, William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were $70 each to stand with for pictures. Other actors cost a little less, and some group shots are also available. How many of you knew that Deforest Kelley was a serious contender as a name for our first born son? Or that Ziyal was slated to be Awyn's middle name? So we chickened out, but both Eric and I will always remember.

Is it tempting, you betcha. I am indeed a Trekkie, and yes, I'm a total geek. Other women who see my video collection assume that is all Eric, all that Star Trek stuff. Nope, it's both of us. Does Eric own all three seasons of TOS on DVD? No, WE own them. As well as Next Generation (well, we still need season 7, shhh, it's coming out for cheapsies in another month or so) And all of DS9 too, and all of the movies. Most of the movies we have the director's editions, with the exception of #5, and well, I own it because I feel obligated to own it, it just really isn't very good, there is so much that would have improved it. Favorite movie? Well, that is a 3 way tie for me. I love Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country, and The Voyage Home will always hold a schlocky spot in my heart. Haven't made up my mind about the newer movies. I don't think Generations was the fiasco it gets made out to be, and I like Insurrection, for all the panning it got, it was true to the series and general star trek theme. Schlock is a part of Star Trek, and it always will be.

Star Trek XI is in the works, with a projected release date of late 2008. Currently no Star Trek spin-off series is in production, with the studio saying Star Trek Fatigue and us fans saying, bah, you're too cheap to continue quality series. Enterprise was getting good, really good, when the plug was pulled. And to repeat a line from George Takei's autobiography, inaccurately quoted, "it's quality, and therefore doomed." Of course, I think he was smelling quality, so something along those lines. Quality sci-fi is doomed nowadays. I mean, they killed Firefly, and that was the best new series to come along in many many years. Fans made a movie a reality after they were unable to get the show back into production, much like the original Star Trek fans were able to get a 3rd season of TOS. Fanatic=Fan=Trekkie.

I was recently asked how my life had changed after having kids, or if there's anything I miss from my child-less years. I was unable to coherently answer the question, so I copped out and said, gee, I can't think of anything, that was so long ago. Honestly? If we didn't have kids we'd be at this convention, complete with our own costumes and make-up. I think that says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment