Thursday, June 29, 2006

Eric's on Vacation

Well, he'd tell you it isn't a vacation. I think it sounds like he's having a lot of fun hanging around Stanford and learning about the Great Depression and the politics and effects of the time period. Yesterday they had a field trip to San Francisco and toured a few different places. The original plan was that the whole family would go and the kids and I would go visit my aunts, uncles, cousins, and Grandmother who don't live all that far from there. Unfortunately we just couldn't afford it. There will be other times, though, I'm sure.

Sam fell asleep for a late nap, just as I was pulling a pizza out of the oven. I thought I needed a fast dinner, he seemed hungry, so I bought a cheap pizza when I was buying a gallon of milk at the gas station. I put his dinner in the fridge. He can have it if he wakes up, but I'm thinking he might just be down for the count. Awyn is sitting beside me causing trouble. She was just over standing on top of the toddler table by the book case. Maybe I'll post a picture.

Today we went to the play ground so Sam could play with some other kids and I could get the keys for my classroom. I'd like to go do some setting up before I start teaching on Wednesday. I officially take over summer school on the 5th of July. We're going to do a newspaper unit. I'm appointing kids to be reporters, editors, publishers, photographers, and even a cartoonist. I'm not thinking about doing this all on the computer, in fact I was actually going to make them write it out on paper, and post it in columns on the wall. My goal isn't computer literacy, it's English composition and handwriting, and maybe a little science and math worked in. Anyone can learn to type and let a computer fix the spelling and grammar. This is supposed to be an enrichment program, so I'm going to work at it. Now I just need to decide if I let the kids elect each other, or just assign them, or rotate assignments. It's only for 4 weeks, and a few of them are going on vacations and there will be some coming and going of this group. I'm looking forward to it. It's supposed to be K-8, but I think it's mostly 5th graders and a few younger kids, including one incoming kindergartner.

No comments:

Post a Comment