Monday, June 26, 2006

Awyn wins!

 
I wish I'd had our picture taken together, but I didn't think of it at the time. We went to a summer solstice fair on Wednesday. Eric unfortunately had an evening program and wasn't able to go with us. Our friend Cassandra went with us too. There were too many things to do for us to do all of them, especially as chasing Sam occupied the bulk of the evening.

There was a costume contest, and Awyn won the kid's prize. I, in my mid-Victorian underwear, lost out to the Earth people. Who can top a scantily clad green-mud-daubed couple wearing some outrageous tiki-style hats with enourmous palm fronds? Not me, and I knew I didn't stand a chance once they showed up. Up until then, I think we had a mother-daughter lock on the whole thing. Awyn won chalk. I was playing for the adult-appreciated weekend at a local spa. Of course, the mud-people were perhaps more solstice-themed, besides being extremely daring and nearly naked. I merely ransacked my closet looking for my living history clothes. Yesterday I was called by a photographer who was submitting pictures to a local paper. She apparently has a nice shot of Awyn, who was chasing bubbles and dogs around the dance floor. She asked me why I chose that outfit for her. I didn't want to admit that it was chosen because it was hanging in the closet, and Sam had only worn it once, for one event, and it happened to fit Awyn. I did have to alter it a bit; I cut the long train off and hemmed it and added a tuck so she could walk. It was an infant dress that fit Sam at around 6-7 months old, pre-mobility. So I told her that I thought that I thought people in the 18th and early 19th century were more likely to celebrate a summer solstice with parties and fairs and flowers. Or something like that. I'm not sure how convinced she was. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment