Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Scarlet Fever?

The diagonsis from the PA today was scarletina, the modern equivalent to scarlet fever. I'm a little dubious of this, but hey, it could be. I was pretty sure it was roseola. They have similar symptoms, but one is bacterial and the other viral. The PA is a little prescription happy, so he called in a couple of scripts, and I'm definitely not giving her the robotussin, as I really can't see the point. I gave her one dose of the penicillin, but I won't give her a second dose until I hear from her pediatrician. I have to admit, I'm scared of penicillin because I'm allergic to it. I even get contact allergy rashes if it gets on my skin. (OK, so that's probably something mental, you already know I'm a nut case) Other doctors usually give me (and Sam) an alternative antibiotic, as I'm just not ready to find out if it's a hereditary allergy. This PA however usually does penicillin because it cost about $1.50 a bottle.

I don't know what to think. I'm starting to wish I'd just driven to Midland on Tuesday and we'd seen her regular doctor. I thought the PA was joking when he told me to drug Awyn with robotussin before taking her to the babysitter, so she'd be stoned and ready to accept anyone when she woke up. Then I picked up the prescriptions, and there it was, cherussin (baby cherry tussin) Expensive little bugger too, my c0-pay was $13. So I'll hang onto it just in case she needs it in the future, I'll have it on hand, but I won't give it to her without a dr. telling me to, it's codeine cough syrup!

No comments:

Post a Comment