Monday, February 27, 2006

It's been a while

I need to go find the camera so I can post some pictures. I've been very busy working. It's been almost full-time with all the training I've been doing. This weekend I worked by myself as I was covering for someone. I think I did pretty well, only a few silly mistakes and one bee sting. Saturday a honey bee flew up my sleeve and it stung me on the fleshy part of my arm. Ouch! I guess they are attracted to the paint on the cars; it shimmers and reflects light and looks like water to the bees. So visitors get swarmed, and they fly into the booth to commit suicide by buzzing around the front window. On average they drop dead after about an hour and a half. I think I need to read, "The Secret Knowledge of Water" as it was recommended by a knowledgeable volunteer.

While working the entrance station on Friday I met my former supervisor. It was fantastic to see her and talk with her. I was able to get all the latest news on my former co-workers, and we had a great chat. I do miss them a lot; they are a terrific crew, caring people, and I really enjoyed working with them. But the job I have now is a better fit for me, as it gives me far greater flexibility in my working hours and days. While I miss putting my degree to good use, and I miss working with the kids, I don't miss the driving. It worked out to nearly 5 hours of driving/day and while the highway along the Rio is beautiful, it is a dangerous, difficult commute. The Coop did work hard to make me comfortable and keep me happy, and I have to give them credit for that. They are some of the hardest working people I know.

I am really enjoying my time at the entrance stations. I get to meet lots of different and interesting people. It really doesn't get boring, especially this time of year when the cars are fairly constant. Awyn and Sam cry when I leave them, but they settle down quickly and play with Lily and her baby. We are truly fortunate to live in so great a place as we do. Oh, and my latest background check is apparantly proceeding. My friend Melinda called me to say that she'd received a letter asking for information on me. I forgot to call my references, and I must apologize. I plan to look up who all you are so I can warn you, but there are quite a few of you as I had to list a reference for every address and job and school I lived, worked or attended for the last 7 years! I also had to list my parents and their personal information. So there's a good chance that NSA, FBI, CIA or other people may be contacting you regarding me. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment