Saturday, February 10, 2007

Went for a Hike


Eric took Sam for a short hike up the wash beside our house. He said they went about a mile and a half up, into Panther Canyon. This has been our latest bit of fun. It's a nice and easy hike and doesn't require any long drive in a car. I was at home with Awyn, who was taking a nap. I was also making chili and corn bread for the Casa Grande Chili cookoff.

Sam and Awyn had fun playing at the cookoff, but didn't want to eat any chili; just cookies and bread. My lentil chili was well received (we saw many people going back for seconds, thirds, fourths) and we took very little of it home with us. I wasn't expecting to win any prizes. The categories were hottest, wimpiest, most unusual, and best overall. My chili wouldn't win any heat contest, nor was it wimpy as it was chili-sauce based, not tomato. I used mild chili pods to make the sauce, hence a milder chili. It still had a kick to it though. Lentil chili isn't unusual enough to beat out Reine's Chocolate Pineapple Tofu Sponge chili, and it's too unusual to win best overall, despite it's obvious popularity. I would have been very surprised for my chili to have won. It was fun making it, and I'm happy with what I entered, a tasty vegetarian lentil dish, as requested by Eric. My Corn Bubble bread was demolished and devoured.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment