Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Brrrr. It's Snowing.

Snow began falling last night, right around the time we went to bed. I heard the start of the hissing against the windows. It's been snowing all day, and is expected to continue to do so for at least another day, with a slight warm up into rain in a couple of days, sinking back into freezing temps and more snow this weekend. It's been in the 20's all day. This isn't the pretty, fluffy stuff we had in December. This is that nasty powder. The road to the Basin is closed. The post office is closed - no mail delivery. Bus driver training was cancelled. It is truly nasty out there. We took a short drive in the jeep to drop of mail, get some milk. We only went as far as the gas station, and they sold out of milk yesterday. Wish I'd thought that far ahead. Oh well, I do have powdered milk and canned milk, so I can cook. The jeep handles pretty well in the snow, but we did slide around the corners. It's really icy, not at all slushy. It's obviously much colder this time around. The power has been flirting with us. It keeps coming and going. We're hoping it stays on through the night, or we'll get pretty cold without the heater. We did need to do some grocery shopping. We are out of potatoes and onions, and many other good things. I'm getting low on yeast. I did make pizza. We had some leftover turkey-spagetti sauce that went well with a can of pineapple and olives and cheddar cheese. (gas station was out of white cheese - only had cheddar) Sorry, no pictures of the kids playing in this stuff, it's too cold, although we did let them for a couple of minutes before we ran down the hill and again on our way back into the house. We just don't have much snow clothing for them - there isn't much point here in the desert. At least they do both have jackets. Sam has gloves - somewhere. So do I, but I can't find them either. I do have my spiffy (and warm) wool hat I got for Christmas a couple of years ago.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment