Sunday, November 12, 2006

Meandering post

It's getting late, and I'm tired, but I thought I'd share a video of Awyn playing basketball. If you are paying attention to the clothes the kids are wearing, you'll notice everything from shorts to sweatshirts. Our weather is rather unpredictable at the moment, varying between late fall chill and summer heat. Mostly it's been in the 70's, sometimes colder, sometimes warmer. Not quite ready to break out the winter uniforms, although Eric is wearing the winter uniform for his evening programs. I think he looks rather nice with the tie and felt hat, so I'm not objecting.



We've had a cold running around our house. Eric and the kids have had it for more than a week now. I seem to be coming down with it now, so I am glad I put up so much chicken noodle soup the other day. Poor Sammy has an ear infection. As I didn't discover it until the beginning of the weekend, we've been praying it doesn't get worse, and that it heals up without a need for the doctor. I've been checking his ear with my otoscope each evening, and putting drops of warm olive oil. He's got additional testing at the school tomorrow; hopefully the last for a while and they can finally tell me what they think is going on so we can move forward. At this point, his vocabulary is considered fine, and there is actually a pretty strong chance he won't have therapy; and he won't have to start school early. While I love our school here; it's like a private school and the student to teacher ratio is wonderful, (roughly 5 students/teacher) I just think Sam is a little young for sitting at a desk.

Last night I was reading a parenting magazine and there was an ad for a children's tv show. It wasn't anything I'd ever heard of, and Sam pointed at it, got excited, and exclaimed, "doodlebops!" He also named them all, and talked excitedly about them. I can only assume he watches this at a babysitter's house, as we have held firm to our no-satelite dish policy and limited screen time. Eric looked them up online, and we were both rather horrified to see how artificial they looked. I miss Sesame Street! I'm trying to decide if I'd still be upset if he were pointing out other shows, like Thomas (oh he does, and knows all the engines names) or knew who Bob the Tomato or Larry the Cucumber was. But then I realized we don't own any Veggie tales. I used to watch them when I worked in the church nursery, and I really liked them. I don't think Eric is so enamored with them though. And how much TV does Sam really need? Maybe I'll just add a couple in to our Netflix queu. Just to see what all Sam is watching, we looked up some other shows that we could remember the names for but know he never watches at our house - Dora, Sponge Bob, the Wiggles - yep, he knew them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment