Thursday, September 07, 2006

Banana Bread and other things

Today I wanted to make banana bread. Not just any banana bread, but a recipe I tried out a few weeks ago off a package of whole wheat flour. It was fabulous, and I wanted to repeat the bread. Well, I didn't save the paper sack the bread came in. I told Eric to recycle it, and he did. I searched the internet, and didn't find anything that sounded quite the same, despite my use of the flour brand name. After much pointless time spend on finding this recipe, I walked out to the garage and picked the bread sack off the top of the recycling and brought it back into the house. I now am about to type the recipe up so I will have a better copy of it. It doesn't use any white flour, just whole wheat. I use olive oil for the vegi oil it calls for, and while it calls for nonfat yogurt, I don't always keep yogurt on hand, let alone plain yogurt, I used non-fat sour cream, and it worked out just fine. Oh, and I cut back on the salt, as an entire teaspoon seemed a little drastic. Now if I were only brave enough to cut some of the sugar. It comes out a little sweet; a cup and a quarter of brown sugar seems high for two little loaves of banana bread. Oh, and it has raisins in it, something I'm generally opposed to in almost anything, but I tried adding them, and yes, raisins actually work in this bread. The bread turns out moist and the texture just perfect for a quick bread. The whole wheat adds a nice flavor. I won't post the recipe unless I see some genuine interest, but I'm liking it. Next I might try substituting in some soy flour. Lately I've been using soy milk in my cooking and in my tea. I like milk in my tea, but I'm trying to get the most benefit for my calories. Banana bread is good for the soul; it tastes good, smells good, and is very dense and filling.

I went to a Princess House party today. Lots of beautiful things to see and order, but the price was a bit high, although I bet the quality is just fine. The catalogues were in Spanish, but the prices were clearly marked, and obviously if I don't know what something is, I don't need to order it. I fell in love with a teapot and a steamer set. The steamer set clocked in at over $100, and I think I could find something that would work well for less. The only thing I know I'd use it for is making tamales, and for that much money I can buy tamales from somebody else. My friend Romney is willing to teach me to make tamales and tortillas and all that sort of thing. I've been experimenting with the corn tortillas, but need more practice. Apparently it is a two day process, or an all day with friends process to make tamales, and is best if double or triple batches are made so everyone can freeze the extras and we can go for months between tamale parties. I'm looking forward to this. I've looked the process up online, and sure enough, a real tamale has two kinds of meat, pork and chicken, stewed to extremem tenderness, shredded, blended, mixed with various things, put into the masa (the masa is made with the broth) and the corn packet is then steamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment