Saturday, July 16, 2005

Lime bars

I just made lime bars, based on a lemon bar recipe, I used limes instead of lemons. I made a major mistake, as I was trying to mulit-task, with mulitple distractions. Eric came home for lunch as the oven was warming up and I was finishing making the crust. I got that part right. So I started making lunch at the same time, and Sam decided to explode with cranky two-ness needing nap, and I was hungry, and I wanted to make bisquits to go with the soup leftovers, and Awyn decided she was hungry, so when I made the lemon custard that goes on top of the crust, I forgot to add sugar. The directions list all the sugar for the entire recipe together, calling for a cup. 1/4 cup goes in the crust, the rest in the filling. The sugar gets a brief mention in the directions, but I wasn't reading the directions, as I've made these many times before. The sugar doesn't make a second appearance in the ingredients list, and that was the only part of the recipe I was following, so I wouldn't forget anything. Oops. They really don't taste very good. I sprinkled some powdered sugar over the top, but it doesn't fix it. They turned out rather strangely. Sugar is apparently an important part of the lemon part of lemon bars. To make it even better, I doubled the recipe. Hey, I have limes that I need to use up. They were 20 for a dollar in Alpine a few weeks ago. Anyone else have ideas for limes? I still have plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment