Thursday, July 26, 2007

Having a good time

Yesterday I had a couple of friends over for a tamale party. We made at least 13 dozen tamales, and at the end, when I bagged them up, we still had 12 dozen left, although Eric and kids (and me) managed to eat another dozen before they went into the freezer, and we divided up the bags so each of us could take them home. While all of us have made them before, Lily and I really enjoyed Romney's showing us her Mama's methods. She mixed up the chile and seasoning, and they came out so nicely! Every time the kids walked past they grabbed another, especially Awyn who probably ate a dozen all by herself, didn't seem to mind any spicy chile. Actually, they really didn't turn out very hot, although if you eat enough of them all nice and warm, it will sneak up on you. Eric kept us in the coffee, making a nice organic medium roast. I didn't know how well coffee went with tamales, but I do now. I also learned, albeit after the fact, that it isn't necessary to cook all of the tamales. If you freeze them before cooking, you can steam them up nice and fresh. That is a wonderful idea, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. I was thinking about how easy it is to take a couple of frozen tamales and put them into lunches that can be reheated in the microwave.

We'll get together again soon - next time we're making pumpkin tamales!

No comments:

Post a Comment