Friday, July 28, 2006

Music, potty training, and dancing

Sam is coming along in our potty training saga. Some may remember that a few of my original posts were about Sam and potty training, well over a year ago. So it's been an ongoing process. He wears underwear during the day, and diapers at night. We still have accidents, and while he occasionally surprises us and takes himself into the bathroom, and does whatever business he needs to, most days we have to remind him to go pee, and stop whatever game he's playing. Pooping, well, he wants to do it on the potty, but he has a few positioning issues, and is freaked out when he makes a mess, so sometimes he'll poop on a potty, and sometimes he picks a special location in the house, like his sister's bed and pillow.

Sam and Awyn both love to dance. So we blast music and rock out with the kids. Sam does some great jamming to Metallica. Eric doesn't think we're going to need to censor our music, but sometimes I worry about the lyrics being belted out by a 3 year old. We've got a great video of Sam and his dancing/singing along with his favorite heavy metal band.

Speaking of listening to music, I recently discovered a new band. Well, they're not new, but I'd never heard of them. This goes back to my signing up for a myspace account to see if any old friends/classmates were on it, and to see what the hype was about. I didn't find any friends, just a bunch of solicitations from guys who obviously didn't read my bio or age, or even look at the picture I posted. Chad and Debbie found me, but we're family, so does that count? My friend Tracy from college found me too, so there are obviously people I know there, but I can't seem to find any of the friends I was trying to look up. Well, after checking out my extremely small circle of friends, I saw a button that said music and clicked on it, expecting to see too-modern 'rock' or other not-so-good bands advertised. Instead, the first thing that comes up is a blurb on a band called Flogging Molly. The name for some reason caught my attention, so I read the description. I think it said something like L.A. hard rock band with a traditional Irish influence, an eclectic mix of accordian, electric guitar, bass, fiddle, and vocals. Well after that description I had no idea what it was, so I clicked on the play button to have a listen. The intro was only ok, and then they exploded and we ordered the album that evening. They are fantastic. My parents probably wouldn't like it, but most of my siblings probably would. So look them up and have a listen. They have a website, just google Flogging Molly. Their latest album comes with a DVD documentary about the band and the last two years of touring and it is listed on amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment